Tuesday 9 December 2014

Evaluation of Maps and Journeys

As I have been feeling quite lost in terms of this year and being at uni, being able to focus almost entirely on sound this term has really helped.
For this project I'm glad I teamed up with Laura as it meant the work load was equal especially when producing the final piece. We both agreed that Laura could focus on the visuals and I could focus on the sound. We were both surprised when it was so easy to combine them both however we think it was due to us both having a clear vision and a good understand of what we wanted to achieve.

In terms of the finished installation I really like that it is so simple. Even though it wasn't simple to make the final product, it isn't a complicated "in your face" design. The box was a nightmare to make, and as this is our prototype we agreed to make it out of cardboard for monetary reasons and also for time reasons. However when it is put into the gallery we will have a wooden box that will look cleaner in terms of assembly. I must admit I'm not completely happy with how to prototype turned out but unfortunately due to a lot of restraints it is all we could achieve to present our work.
I do think the fact that we wanted it all to be in the box constricted us quite a bit and I wish that the projection idea could have worked.

Assessing my role within our team.
Due to personal issues my commitment to the entire course hasn't been as good as it could have been. However I have dedicated the majority of my time to this side of the course. As I was doing the sound side of the project I found it enjoyable to try experimental sound and really mess around with how people feel sound rather than hear it. Again I feel that the simplicity of all aspects of the installation is what makes it interesting.  In total I used 6 tracks on the entire thing and two of those were double tracked frequencies.
In terms of research I looked into binaural sound recording and how it worked, and also the themes Laura and I were going for.
I also made the prototype box which was oddly frustrating as I didn't realise making a box would be so difficult.

Working with Laura.
I've really enjoyed working with Laura. I'm really thankful for everything that she has done within the project. I am also thankful for her putting up with me through the entire term. She was extremely professional in terms of work process and always got everything done.
I think we worked really well together and I'm glad we both had a very clear vision of how we wanted it to turn out.

Over all experience.
I'm really pleased with how the visuals and sound have turned out and also how well they fit together, there were times where we thought it wouldn't work out and that our idea was too simple, however it has come together nicely. In terms of the presentation of the work I think even though it was such a simple idea we may have over complicated it and I think it could have been better. I am currently talking about our prototype box and I know that the box for the gallery will be of much higher quality and look a lot better, however as I am evaluating everything so far, I must say that I wish we had more time and money to make a wooden box. I think that could be our downfall of our project but I know that when it is in the gallery it will be fine.
I think our ideas came together when we had our final meeting with Rosie and it was all a whirl wind to try and get it done, I think in terms of time management we could have been more efficient but at the same time I don't think we "pulled it together" last minute. I'm not sure how else we could have done it, but maybe we could have spent less time on research and more time on making it, again though I think we would have ended up with a very different end product if we had done that.

To conclude... I think that Laura and I always seem to work well as a team and I think it has all turned out okay, due to me being so distant and having issues with everything I could have contributed more. I know that I have done enough research and done my side of the visual/sound aspect and helped with the presentation but there is some element that I feel I missed.
I am not saying that I didn't put the effort in because there hasn't been a waking moment where I haven't been thinking about this project but I don't seem to have the same passion as Laura.

I really enjoyed working on the box and I think that every element of it has turned out how we originally imagined (thinking to the future as well in terms of the box also).
I just like how no one will really completely understand it at first glance and I love that you need to investigate it more to find out what it's really about; and I think that that gives a good reflection on the theme as a whole, as investigation into the journey of life to death doesn't really have much of a backbone as no one can tell anyone what it is like to die, and the thought of the unknown is always daunting and I think thats a good thing.
I hope that people enjoy it, and understand it, and if they don't then it doesn't really matter because I really like what we have produced.

No comments:

Post a Comment